Monday, January 28, 2008

for your consideration



Politics and film are kettles of joy, hope, and intrique as much as they are cauldrons of excess, myopia, and greed. I enjoy them both but they can be maddening.

Americans will spend approximately 1 billion (1 x 10 9th power in scientific notation, frequently abbreviated as 1e9) dollars to elect a President this year. Although the exact information is a little more difficult to extract, movie studios will likely spend a similar amount to try and convince you to view their films before the next state-of-the-union address.

One shudders to imagine how many schools, roads, or bridges could be built with this money, how many water-treatment plant upgrades, homeless shelters, or drug-rehabilitation facilities could be constructed, or how many children could be lifted from poverty, families offered medical care, or research spent on developing alternative forms of energy. How much music, art, and architecture could be built in lieu of this largesse of self-promotion. But it's our system, and despite the protestations from the few, we seem to be sticking to it. Or at least until we decide to change it.
------------------

"make it rain", 2008, m.o.i. Ink on paper, denominations vary, 20 multiples to date.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sunday morning on the way to church and counting my money at breakfast while eating with my daughters Harriett and Aimee. I have at least 20 one dollars bills. They watch me count them and I say: "I'm going to church and make it rain!" Snooop-a-licious...chappy

Warrior Ant Press Worldwide Anthill Headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri, USA. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Warrior Ant Press Worldwide Anthill Headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri, USA. said...

Let's hope you danced in the aisles as well.

"You taught me how to read and write, how to fight
My do's and dont's, my wills and my wont's
I'll never forget, the things that we went through
Bangin oldies in the livin room, sippin brew
Schlitz Malt Liquor was the thing back then
My momma was my homey my daddy, and my best friend
Ask the Twinz, them my lil locos to the end
And Warren G and Nate Dogg, shit them my true friends
Time and time again, I'ma spit this rhyme again
She the queen in my life, and I'ma make sure she gon' shine again
She taught me everythang, but she didn't charge a fee
She taught me everythang, except how to see a G"

Snopp Dogg, I Love My Momma
----------------------