Saturday, April 7, 2007

my new collection


People collect all sorts of things. Stamps. Coins. Art. Lovers. You name it, someone collects it. You collect it; Antiques Roadshow tells you what it's worth. Forget the sentiment; there's real money involved if you get it right.

But what's an Albert Pujols rookie card worth when your neighbor's eight year-old is already sittin' on 5 pristine signed ones? It's worth whatever you're willing to pay, or willing to sell if for. Hell, they're just baseball cards. Who gives a shit.

When I was younger, I traded my entire baseball card collection, full of Mickey Mantles, Warren Spahns, Stan-the-Man's, rookie Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Ernie Banks, Don Drysdale's, shit-loads of past and future hall-of-famers in one fell swoop to my best friend. Half of them I'd won in betting games from him. These were the good ones, the ones that didn't end up in the bike spokes. I traded it for a box of marbles. Why, I wanted the marbles more than I wanted the cards and today I still think of it as a good trade. Who knows what happened to the cards, who cares?

In this age of obscurity, this ceaseless march to oblivion, we look to be unique with our collections. That's why I started a one that few, if any can match. Guns I've found in the river. I'm 2 and counting. Last week someone else beat me to the punch or it'd now be three. Right now I focusing on handguns, but soon I hope to branch off into Kalisnikovas.

m.o.i.: my new collection
see also:
m.o.i.: intellectual property
m.o.i.: more about moi

No comments: