Tuesday, February 3, 2009

top this: presidential pup redemption


A friend brought me a pack of topps® Obama trading cards which, considering that everything, and I do mean everything seems to be branded with Obama's image, is only unique in that these cards are the inaugural edition. I'm guessing that if things work out for Topps®, then there might even be a second, Presidential edition.

We love trading cards. But they seem to have to expanded into all realms of popular culture. I remember as we were preparing to invaded Iraq, a well-place mole from the Bush administration must have talked someone at Topps° into introducing Freedom Cards. These were a series of cards about top Bush Administration officials and high-ranking members of the military. Government propaganda designed to appeal to 13-year teenage boys and repressed Republicans (how do you tell them apart?). There was no card of Bush with a puppy in this deck but there was one of 43 in a flight suit looking stern.

The Topps® Obama cards have some super secret cards inserted, including a high school basketball card (I wonder if they photo-shopped a 44 on his jersey) and a presidential pup redemption card. The pup card is the hardest card of all to get (odds are 1 in 384) and its existence begs the question? What the hell is presidential pup redemption? Find the card, get a free puppy? Find the card and you can take it to the White House for free entry for you and your puppy? A certificate to have your dog spayed or neutered? A free rabies and distemper vaccine?

The most bizzare set of trading ever given to me was a deck of Kennedy Assassination cards. These included Never before released autospy images! and for obvious reasons, were difficult to trade if not to even examine.

2 comments:

. said...

Oh wizard or wise one !!!!

Hey, this is Dan Grubbs in KC and I'm wanting to bounce an idea off you. The paddling community is growing in the MO/KAN region and I wondered if you thought about a special newsletter. I have and would like to pull together a few real writers to develop editorial content for such an animal. I know we're all pulled in different directions, but if we could link up 3-4 writers, we could put together a bi-monthly pub that I could layout and post on a new pub display tool that is free online.

Any first thoughts?

Dan

Moira said...

Great post! I linked to you on my blog, The Obama Dog Blog...

http://dreamdogsart.typepad.com/the_obamas_dog/

Feel free to forward any tips.