Monday, December 1, 2008

more wintery mix is on the way

Holy smokes! or should I say holy deep-fried turkey. I managed to survive my mid-South Thanksgiving without bringing up politics but I did leave a few presents under the tree wrapped in old Obama posters with "America. Love it or leave it!" word balloons written on them. That should get folks riled up and ready-to-go. The losers can argue about what went wrong with McGruff the Crime Dog since I could really care less; it's been 8 years since we've been able to gloat so why not do a little of it? The good vibes may not last long after the first 100 days.

Besides the deep-fried turkey (which wasn't as good as the oven-baked one and this is definitely something you don't want to do at home [may we suggest the Eagles Club?]) we waded through a plethora of casseroles, bar-b-que sandwiches, and rich desserts. I even made a pumpkin pie--with scratch pie crust--and it wasn't bad for a total on-the-fly, made-from-memory effort. We promise that for the next pie the filling will also be from scratch.

One thing about leaving Kansas City for a few days around Thanksgiving. If it's 60° F and sunny when you leave, it'll be 25° F and snowing when you return. I think the meteorologists call it a wintry mix. But it's good to be back home, even if it means having to scrape ice and snow from my car windows.

1 comment:

sarahstar said...

so so so good to be home.