Friday, April 6, 2007

tear me apart

Ok so it's first Friday here in KC which means art gallery openings. My friend Susan had some pyrographs (burned drawings) that were interesting, even beautiful. There was a small discussion about how to make larger tips for larger drawings and Bryan, who had spent some time on the farm suggested an electric branding iron. I mentioned that our government (via some Homeland Security $$$'s) had developed it's own version of electric prods for use in torturing terrorists (this means you), although they have yet to be released to the general population.

Then off to another new gallery (unit 5 [how's that for a macho name]) where I encountered an interesting phenomenon. An artist team had printed a limited edition art book. This was fine. What was disconcerning to me was that they chose to mount and frame each page of the book separately. Because of the way books need to be constructed for readibility, this meant that the viewer was confronted with images and text that weren't spatially related to one another - except for being in the same book. It just seemed so sad to see a book displayed that way, especially by the authors. Hey, it's not my work, they can show it how they want, but I can see book plates torn from folios any day at the flea market I don't need to see them at a fine art gallery.

Speaking of being torn apart. There are still those who crucify themselves to cleanse themselves (us?) of sin. Apparently they do this every year and the main precaution they take is to sterilize the nails; seens like they might have more pressing concerns than bacteria on the nails. Don't know, seems easier to just take a bath and besides I thought Christ died for our sins, so what's up with the half-way re-enactment? Feel a bit cheated. Either do it up right, including the resurrection part, or just read the Good Book. While I wouldn't suggest this (the crucify part) to a friend, neighbor, or sane person, I heartily recommend it to many past and current members of this administration. Can Pat Roberson leg press a crucifix with Carl Rove lashed to it? Only God knows.

No comments: